Saturday, January 31, 2009

Apple-Raisin Bars

I think it's kind of funny how growing up I never wanted to mix my sweet stuff with fruit or nuts.  Like when offered a raisin-oatmeal cookie or a chocolate chip...I'd always go for the chocolate.  Well, maybe that's not a good example because I still would.  Let's see...how about a carrot cake or brownies with nuts?  But now I know that they're good for me and I figure, "Hey, if I'm gonna eat some sweets, why not put something good in there too?!"

So, when I came across this recipe awhile back I had to try it out.  They were AMAZING!  

Makes: 12 bars Prep: 15 minutes 
Bake: 35 minutes 


Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 cups packed light-brown       sugar

2 eggs

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or       margarine, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1-1/2 cups diced Golden       Delicious apples 

3/4 cup raisins

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Liberally coat a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

2. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; set aside.

3. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, blend together sugar, eggs, butter and vanilla for 3 minutes or until smooth.

4. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; mix for 
2 minutes or until just incorporated. Stir in diced apples and raisins and spread into prepared pan.

5. Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely before cutting into bars and serving.


Side notes:

- I tried 1 cup brown sugar the second time but they weren't as good.  I might try 1 1/2 cups next time.

- Also, I used whatever apples I had on hand.


No comments: